A Quick Lunch: Tomato Rice
While not a Kerala recipe, the tomato rice is a quick, tasty and aromatic lunch. The recipe quantities should provide two servings. The cups mentioned are imperial cups.
Biriyani Rice (long grain rice) - 0.75 cup
Water - 1.5 cups
Medium sized tomatoes - 3 nos
Cardamom - 3 nos
Cinnamon - 2 piece
Clove - 2 pieces
Green Chillies - 5 nos
Onion - 1 medium, 1 small
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Salt - To taste
Cooking the Tomato Rice
- Wash the rice a number of times till the water runs clear. Put aside
- Slice the onions into thin pieces, cut the tomatoes into small pieces and split the chillies. Break open the cardamon. Put aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat the ghee
- Add the cardamom, clove and cinnamon to the ghee and stir fry for one minute
- Add the onion and green chillies and stir fry till onion color changes
- Add tomato pieces and stir fry till the tomatoes are soft
- Add the rice (without water) and fry for five minutes, stirring frequently, lowering the heat if the mixture begins to stick to the bottom
- Finally add the water and salt, stir in, and cook on high heat
- Lower the heat when it begins to boil
- Cover the vessel and cook about fifteen minutes till the rice is cooked and water has evaporated
Lunch Is Ready!
Your tomato rice is ready! If you prefer, you can eat it along with a relish, say, cucumber pieces in curd.
Click Here for A Printable Version